The Lazy Forager: #20 – Hawthorn Flower Tincture


 

This morning, I walked barefoot across a freezing cold lawn in order to feel the dew under my feet. A bit later, I hopped off my bike and snuggled up to a hawthorn tree, letting the dew from the flowers and leaves trickle all over my face. Sounds like a bit of a strange morning ritual? Well, it was. Also enjoyably refreshing! Ok, but why would I get up to these shenanigans, you ask? Because: Beltane! Celebrated on May 1st, this Gaelic seasonal festival traditionally marks the peak of spring and the beginning of summer - reminding us that we are now officially halfway between the spring equinox and the summer solstice. Which, quite frankly, comes as a bit of a relief! So much of a relief that going round covering myself head to toe (literally) in dew seemed like a completely reasonable way to pay tribute to the turn of the seasons. Also, Beltane dew is thought to bring beauty and maintain youthfulness - and who am I to quibble with that!
 
Hawthorn (with or without the dew) plays an important role in traditional May day celebrations. Its flowers were relied upon to ward off all sorts of evil spirits, and Hawthorn branches were used to make 'May bushes' decorated with flowers, ribbons and other trinkets. And you can really see why! Hawthorn bursts on the scene rather spectacularly at this time of year and is very difficult to overlook, as its creamy white flowers suddenly appear to be everywhere. For the past week or so, I haven't been able to go anywhere without my senses filling up with the fragrance of hawthorn blossom.

Apart from being a gorgeous sight and a joyful harbinger of Spring, Hawthorn is also exceedingly good for you. It is said to be a heart tonic, increasing blood flow to the heart muscles and regulating blood pressure. I don't know about you, but my heart is definitely in need of a bit of TLC after the trials and tribulations of this past year. So I'm taking this opportunity to drink lots of Hawthorn tea and make Hawthorn tinctures. Both of these are super easy and you can use the leaves as well as the flowers.

For the tincture - you guessed it: get out the vodka! Place the leaves/flowers in a jar and cover with vodka. Leave for at least two weeks, then strain through a muslin. Store the tincture in a cool, dark place and take a blessed teaspoon whenever you feel the need!

You can also make Hawthorn brandy in a similar way.


It probably goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway: this is not an invitation to self-medicate a heart condition! This blog is a light-hearted way of documenting my foraging forays, and I am not a trained herbalist. There is some excellent advice out there if you would like to explore herbal remedies further - I recommend looking up the fantastic Rhizome Clinic if you're based in Bristol.

HAPPY BELTANE and may your fire burn bright this year!



Comments