The Lazy Forager: #25 – Tea Time

 

I'm under the weather this week and immensely grateful to my past self for having had the foresight to try something new this year: medicinal herbal tea blends! 

Earlier this summer, I went and picked some elderflower, mint and yarrow (leaves and flowers), dried the lot and mixed it in equal parts to make a cold & flu tea. A big shout-out to Herbalists Without Borders Bristol whose inimitable Herbal Year Book provided the inspiration! This treasure trove of a book informs me that elderflower is useful to dry up nasal secretions, which makes it an effective remedy against colds and hayfever alike. It can also be used for fevers during viral illnesses, as it is diaphoretic and induces sweating to break the fever. Yarrow, a long-standing favorite of mine both for its taste and medicinal qualities, supports the blood flow, thereby promoting circulation and helping to support a fever. It's also said to regulate digestion and the menses and have tons more amazing qualities, but I shan't go on about it too much here! And mint, what can I say, it's just a universal feel-good herb that makes everything taste nice!

So, back to the cold & flu tea. The key here is to dry the herbs really, really well - probably a lot longer than you think you need to. They should only go in a jar once every bit of them is brittle and crumbly. I left them for several weeks, just to be safe! Ideally, hang them in a brown paper bag, or away from direct sunlight to preserve the flavour. When preparing your tea, make sure you steep the herbs for at least 15-20 minutes. Add more hot water if it's cooled down, and then drink hot. HWB recommend 4 cups a day during a fever. 

I thought I wouldn't have to resort to this until the winter, but I've already given a jar to a friend with Covid and am currently making a handsome dent in it myself - let's see if there'll be any left to get me through the winter blues times!

 

The other thing I did was create a lovely tea blend from a mix of dried rose petals, limeflower, mugwort, yarrow, lemon balm and lavender. It's nice to add some dried calendula too if you've got any! A lot of these came from my allotment, which was particularly pleasing. It's been brilliant coming up with this indulgent "Me Time Tea" for a friend's birthday - a feast for the nose, the taste buds and the eyes! The internet provides endless inspiration for different tea combinations, so why not have a go at making your own blends rather than paying through the nose for herbal tea bags?!

While I enjoyed giving the first one away, I then obviously made one for myself, too. I'm not one known for my excellent self care, so I am all the more pleased to report that it really does help me wind down and relax, and I'd recommend it to anyone - ideally in combination with a good book and a comfy sofa. There's just something about preparing and enjoying this floral cup of tea that engages all the senses and moves me to give quiet and joyful thanks to the land that grew these delicious herbs and flowers. What better way to end a day!



Comments