The Lazy Forager: #24 – Redcurrant Chutney

 

If you have managed to snatch enough of your redcurrant harvest away from the local gang of pigeons, the only question remaining is how best to use your delicious bounty. I'm normally only ever left with a few measly handfuls which, you guessed it, usually get bunged into a gin. This year however, having gone to all the trouble of actually netting my fruit bushes and reaping the rewards in the form of half a kilo of redcurrants, I've decided it's time to branch out. So, redcurrant chutney it is! 

I found this recipe for a savoury chutney online and am more than pleased with the outcome. You essentially use the fruit, sugar, spices, and a certain quantity of the ingredients pictured above to make a tasty chutney or relish which I heap on my cheese crackers but can imagine probably also makes a really good accompaniment for certain meats.

The only mildly disappointing thing about this process has been watching half a kilo of redcurrants reduce down to a mere four small jars full. But in a way, this just makes you appreciate every spoonful that much more! 

Oh by the way, the Craigans Cider in the above photo is not essential to proceedings, but since it's pictured here, I'm just going to go ahead and say that it is the most delicious cider I have drunk in a long time. Made in small batches in Pembrokeshire by a certain Olly Craigan - do seek it out when you next find yourself in that part of the world!



Comments