Cliffside grazing

 
 
After all the gardening, cycling and local hiking during lockdown and over the summer, I’ve suddenly - and rather manically - rekindled the fire for another fun and outdoorsy activity: climbing. On a random Friday night in September, I decided it was about time I went and explored a certain piece of rock in the Avon Gorge, my local crag. So I set my alarm for an unreasonable Saturday morning hour and was on the rock before you could say “breakfast”. 
As I was padding my way up (and down, and sideways) an easy and enjoyable route, I took note of all the different plants that had, very tenaciously, made the side of the cliff their home.

Over 30 different kinds of nationally rare plant species grow in the Avon Gorge, making it one of the most important sites for rare plants in the UK. Some of these plants don't grow anywhere else in the country, like Bristol Onion and Bristol Rock Cress. The Gorge is also famous for its rare whitebeam trees, some of which grow wild here and can't be found anywhere else in the world. 
 
By the time I was having a rest under one such gorgeous whitebeam tree, I felt sure that I had positively identified one of the little plants that I kept coming across on my route. None other than the lovely salad burnet with its subtle but exceedingly delicious cucumber flavour! So I sat down, had a tiny nibble of one of the leaves, and thought to myself that there can’t be many things better than sitting under a whitebeam tree halfway up a cliff, nibbling on some accidental salad burnet and enjoying the view! [Editor’s note: Nevermind the deafening traffic noise from the main road just below! We don't talk about that here.]
 
It got me thinking though: What are the rules for foraging on the rock? Much of the plant life in the Avon Gorge is protected, and I've since found out that the Gorge has actually been recognised as a Special Area of Conservation and designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). This means that it is an offence to "intentionally or recklessly disturb the wildlife" there.
 
Climbing is officially allowed in the Avon Gorge. But the cliff as a habitat sustains all sorts of different creatures (as evidenced by the wasps’ nest halfway up my route!) and we need to be careful to foster and cherish this unique ecosystem. For climbers, this means respecting the natural environment, leaving no trace, and not taking home any souvenirs like rocks or plants. We are also expected to stay out of the way of certain birds during nesting season. For foragers, it definitely means going elsewhere for our pickings.
 
A last word about the humble salad burnet. I've only ever used it raw in salads because I adore the flavour. I love this inconspicuous plant because it's evergreen and therefore around all winter - though the leaves are most tender in spring and early summer. Apparently the roots can be used as well, and infusing the leaves makes a soothing treatment for sunburn or eczema. Who knew! 
 
But alas, I'm going to have to find other places to pick this delicious herb from. The Gorge is strictly for climbing.

Salad burnet

Comments