The Lazy Forager: #17 – Red Berry Vodka Liqueurs



At this time of year, there are few things more exciting to me than spotting the first juicy red globules in amongst my fruit shrub foliage (yes, really!). I will usually hasten to pick the ripe berries before the birds get a look-in, which means I rarely end up with more than a couple of handfuls at a time. Not quite enough to do any meaningful baking with, and just a bit too much to eat in one sitting.

So... what choice do I have but use them for a delicious berry liqueur! Today, I made separate small vodka liqueur batches using redcurrants, raspberries and tayberries. Yumm.

You probably know the drill by now... here's how easy it is:

- find a wide-necked jar or bottle
- fill halfway (or however much you have) with berries
- fill up with vodka
- add sugar.

Leave on the shelf for two to three months, shaking the bottle whenever you remember. Strain off the berry debris when you're ready to use your liqueur. I always eat the boozy berries or use them for baking, but this may not be to everyone's taste.

Perfect for use in those summer cocktails... enjoy!

Comments