The Lazy Forager: #7 – Wild Garlic Pakoras

It's that time of year again... there's a distinct wild garlic aroma in the woodland air! I love wild garlic because it sticks around for a nice little while - late winter till late spring - and consists of so many delicious and versatile elements which can be enjoyed in succession: first the leaves and flower buds, then the flowers (and the leaves still...), and finally the seed heads.

If you are lucky enough to live close to a park or woodland carpeted by the stuff, then hoorah! Find a secluded spot (which has the twin benefits of a) less risk of dog mess and b) being physical-distancing-appropriate) and get a-foraging.


 Wild garlic leaves and flower buds

A few days ago, I decided to re-visit my favourite local wild garlic spot. As I was kneeling down and carefully inspecting each leaf before picking (so as not to accidentally pick any of the poisonous Lords and Ladies leaves), I reflected on when I had last been to this spot - almost exactly a year ago, when I took two friends out foraging. What a different place the world is this year, compared to then! Three's now most definitely a crowd, and our outside movements are limited. Still, I count myself lucky to live close to so many wonderful green spaces, despite being a city dweller. I fill up my bag, enjoy the quiet and shady solitude for another moment or two, and then head on home.

Usually a prolific pesto maker, I decided to try something new this time. I had never made pakoras before but the ingredients list seemed simple enough.


The recipe is courtesy of John Rensten's The Edible City and my adapted version goes like this:

150g wild garlic leaves and stems
2 red chillies
1 onion
250g potatoes
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
350g chickpea (gram) flour
Frying oil

The original recipe recommends coconut oil for frying, asks for green chillies, and uses a ratio of 50g wild garlic and 100g ground ivy leaves. I would have loved some ground ivy for these, but alas I couldn't find any, so I just went no-holds-barred on the wild garlic.

The potatoes need to be diced and parboiled, and the gram flour mixed with water to about the same consistency as a pancake batter. Mix it all up, drop dollops of it into the hot oil...


...et voilà! Fried deliciousness. Serve with a seasonal salad to ease your conscience.

If you look carefully, you may be able to make out some pickled wild garlic flower buds in the salad bowl. I made those two weeks ago, simply by bunging them in a jar with some cider vinegar. The sharp and garlicky taste explosion you get from these is quite something! One of my favourite things and guaranteed to liven up any salad. Even if said salad already contains such exciting things as winter purslane! But that's for another post...


Comments