The Lazy Forager: #11 – Spring Tonic



Left to right: dandelion, cleavers, nettles, plantain

Whenever I get a bit overwhelmed by the "weeds" going rampant on my allotment in springtime, I remind myself that rather than just mindlessly getting rid of them, their incredibly vigorous spring energy actually deserves to be properly honoured - and bottled.

A good and easy way to give yourself a springtime boost is to make a spring tonic by infusing a few common "weeds" in cider vinegar (ideally organic and unpasteurised). Traditionally, spring tonics are intended to cleanse and rejuvenate - basically giving your body a bit of a spring clean after a long winter marked perhaps by a somewhat monotonous diet.

I'm currently suffering from a slight glut of dandelion, nettles, cleavers and ribwort plantain, so that's what I used for my concoction. These plants are high in vitamins and minerals and are also alteratives, which means they promote elimination of waste products from the body. There are many different places where you can read up more fully on the medicinal benefits of these hugely undervalued plants, including the excellent Plants for a Future website.

 The straightforward process goes like this:

- Wash your haul carefully (and don't forget to wear gloves for the nettles)
- Chop all the plant material up as finely as you can
- Put it all in a jar or wide-necked bottle
- Cover in cider vinegar.

Leave to infuse for about four weeks, shaking regularly. Then strain off the plant debris - as always, squeezing every last bit of goodness out of it. And there's your tonic! Take a thimbleful every day, or use it instead of vinegar in your salad dressings.

Top tip: I recommend immediately labelling your jar or bottle with both the ingredients and the date - maybe even adding a "strain by" date. Don't intend to do it later. Just do it straight away. Trust me, I've been there. It's a really good idea.

Comments