The Lazy Forager: #2 – Rosemary Oil


 
Has anyone else got a rosemary bush that they planted when it was a normal-ish size and that‘s now gone completely mental? What is more, I neglected to prune mine for years (this was before I knew how to prune properly) and it’s grown to be a decidedly wonky shape.

So in a bid to nudge it towards a slightly more stable and bushy aspect, I’m having to chop off some pretty huge branches. Simultaneously, I’ve been forced to expand my rosemary processing repertoire a little. There’s only so many rosemary potatoes one woman can eat!

And thankfully, an idea did come along. Let’s hear it for...

...Rosemary Oil:

1. Chop up sprigs of rosemary – stalk, needles, flowers and all. Spring is a perfect time to do this because you get the added goodness of the flowers!
2. Pack it all tightly into a jar or bottle.
3. Cover the rosemary with good-quality olive oil.
4. Leave the oil to infuse for a week or two.
5. Strain the olive oil... and make sure to wring out every last drop of goodness from the rosemary debris.

Well that’s how I do it anyway. And I've got to say, it's alright! Absolutely loving it as a fragrant salad dressing at the moment... It’ll probably make a nice foodie present, too 😊.




 


Comments